by Brian Dixon (Editor)
Health Information Exchange (HIE): Navigating and Managing a Network of Health Information Systems allows health professionals to appropriately access, and securely share, patients’ vital medical information electronically, thus improving the speed, quality, safety, and cost of patient care.
The book presents foundational knowledge on HIE, covering the broad areas of technology, governance, and policy, providing a concise, yet in-depth, look at HIE that can be used as a teaching tool for universities, healthcare organizations with a training component, certification institutions, and as a tool for self-study for independent learners who want to know more about HIE when studying for certification exams.
In addition, it not only provides coverage of the technical, policy, and organizational aspects of HIE, but also touches on HIE as a growing profession. In Part One, the book defines HIE, describing it as an emerging profession within HIT/Informatics. In Part Two, the book provides key information on the policy and governance of HIE, including stakeholder engagement, strategic planning, sustainability, etc. Part Three focuses on the technology behind HIE, defining and describing master person indexes, information infrastructure, interfacing, and messaging, etc. In Part Four, the authors discuss the value of HIE, and how to create and measure it. Finally, in Part Five, the book provides perspectives on the future of HIE, including emerging trends, unresolved challenges, etc.
- Offers foundational knowledge on Health Information Exchange (HIE), covering the broad areas of technology, governance, and policy
- Focuses on explaining HIE and its complexities in the context of U.S. health reform, as well as emerging health IT activities in foreign nations
- Provides a number of in-depth case studies to connect learners to real-world application of the content and lessons from the field
- Offers didactic content organization and an increasing complexity through five parts
- Paperback: 376 pages
- Publisher: Academic Press; 1 edition (February 25, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0128031352
- ISBN-13: 978-0128031353