By LaTonya M. Summers PhD LMHC LCMHC-S, Lotes Nelson PhD LCMHC-S NCC ACS
Employs the framework of anti-oppressive “Liberation Counseling
The first multicultural counseling book to use a strengths-based perspective, this innovative text emphasizes culture and diversity as an asset to be nurtured and approached with humility, empathy, and culturally responsive interventions. The book is also unique in its consideration of marginalized experiences not limited to ethnicity, race, or poverty, but those that also include polyamory, gamers, immigrants, refugees, people with disabilities, and other marginalized populations. Separate sections consider the particular situations of more than 20 distinct populations to foster treatment that is imbued with sensitivity and understanding.
The book calls for counselors to deeply examine their own beliefs, attitudes, and judgments to ensure they have productive work with diverse clients. Distinct chapters explore the counselor’s worldview, the client’s worldview, and include demonstrations of how to apply multicultural counseling by addressing race and culture; providing culturally responsive assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning; and designing a culturally sensitive workplace. Content is enhanced by self-reflection questions, end-of-chapter discussion questions, and multifaceted clinical case scenarios providing an in-depth look at the lived reality of marginalized people. Purchase includes digital access for use on most mobile devices or computers.
- Emphasizes cultural considerations in treating more than 20 different marginalized populations
- Engages counselors to deeply examine their own values and beliefs so they don’t adversely impact treatment of different populations
- Written by counselor educators and other subject matter experts with expertise in treating varied populations
- Uses multifaceted case studies to illustrate content and apply concepts
- Provides podcast interviews with members of diverse groups
- Each chapter includes learning objectives, key terms, chapter summary, and discussion questions
- Delivers robust instructor ancillaries, including an Instructor’s Manual that maps to CACREP standards
- Publisher : Springer Publishing Company; 1st edition (November 28, 2022)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 538 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0826139523
- ISBN-13 : 978-0826139528